We made this refreshing Watermelon Feta Basil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette while vacationing up in Northern Minnesota. So refreshing and irresistible on a hot summer’s day!
Watermelon Feta Basil Salad
This unusual, refreshing summer salad is perfect for your next picnic or potluck. There are numerous varieties of this watermelon dish, some with mint and parsley others with a lime or red wine vinegar based salad dressing. When I was up in Northern Minnesota for a mini family reunion, the cooks in the family gathered in the kitchen and made this delicious version replete with feta, kalamata olives, basil and a balsamic vinaigrette.
Cooking with Family!
Boy did we have a blast cooking together. When I get together with my sisters, we start planning the next meal even before our plates are empty. We took turns at the helm and had some amazing meals. My aunt, Angela, had a notebook of recipes she had collected over the years. She whipped up a marvelous black bean feta dip that I must recreate. My grandmother’s Ginger Crisps and Raspberry White Chocolate Bars, which I schlepped through TSA from Indianapolis, were noshed on after dinner, and we found that melted Dove chocolates paired beautifully with the ginger cookies.
As is typical for summer gatherings at the lake, the grill was going full time each night when dinner time rolled around. The side dishes varied, but this watermelon feta basil salad was delicious and especially memorable; I knew it would become a summer tradition.
More Summer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Watermelon Salsa from Reluctant Entertainer
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Frozen Watermelon Margaritas from Living Locurto
- Classic Gazpacho from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Prosciutto Bites from Belly Full
Watermelon Feta Basil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
A summer salad featuring watermelon, feta, kalamata olives and basil
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 pounds of watermelon, rind removed and cut into bite sized chunks (seedless watermelon is recommended)
- 4 ounces feta, cubed
- 3 green onions, sliced (I forgot to add these!)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pits removed and cut in half
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh basil (chiffonade* or chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Gently toss watermelon, feta, onions, olives and basil in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar and pour over salad. Gently toss.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
The feta and olives can be quite salty. I did not feel this salad needed salt, so taste before adding any.
With my sisters and Greenwood relatives (my mom’s family!) in Northern Minnesota.