Homemade Twix Bars
Decadent shortbread bars topped with caramel and milk chocolate.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24-36 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookie Bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 20 ounces Kraft caramels, unwrapped of course! (about 1 1/2 bags)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 18 ounces milk chocolate, melted (I used Ghirardelli Bars rather than chips)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (optional, I used)
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Line 9″ x 13″ pan with nonstick foil. Set aside.
- Using a pastry blender cut butter into sugar. Use fingers to break up butter, till mixture resembles cornmeal. Add vanilla. Add the flour. Mix till flour is incorporated…mixture will be crumbly.
- Press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork.
- Bake 15 minutes until the crust is lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown. Set it aside to cool completely.
- For the caramel layer: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. (or use microwave, stopping and stirring at 30-60 second intervals till smooth and melted). Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
- For the Chocolate Layer: Melt the chocolate and shortening in by microwaving using 30-second increments, stopping and stirring till melted and smooth. Spread over caramel. I used a plastic frosting tool to make optional striations while the chocolate was warm.
- Let cool before cutting.