Chocolate thumbprints rolled in pecans and filled with caramel!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: 36 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies, Holiday
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg (separate into yolk and white)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Penzey’s)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup finely chopped pecans
- 16 plain caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, if desired
- 36 pecan halves, if desired
- Beat together butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla until well blended. Sift flour, cocoa and salt into batter and mix on low speed till well combined.
- Form dough into two logs, each 8 inches long. Whisk egg white till frothy. Paint logs with egg whites and roll in pecans. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Cut each log into 16 slices (each about ½ inch wide). Arrange on baking sheets, about 1½ inches apart. Use fingers to reshape each cookie back into a circle if needed.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press center of cookies with finger or end of spoon to make an indentation in each cookie (I used the flat end of a whisk). Allow to cool completely.
- Melt caramels and milk in microwave (about 60 seconds or less). Stir till smooth. Spoon a bit of caramel into the center of each cookie. Allow to cool till caramel is set.
- Melt chocolate chips and place into a ziplock bag. Snip off a corner and drizzle chocolate over each cookie. Or you can skip the drizzle and top each cookie with a pecan half.