Turtle Poke Cake
A moist chocolate cake saturated with caramel sauce and finished off with chocolate buttercream, pecans, and chocolate chips
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coffee, cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2–2 cups caramel sauce (I used my homemade microwave caramel sauce, but any good quality store-bought is fine)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Caramel sauce to drizzle over slices, optional
- Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large pyrex measuring cup or medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, coffee, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and beat for a couple minutes, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When cake is done, let cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Then take a wooden spoon and using the handle end, poke rows of holes across the cake. Pour caramel sauce into the holes. Reserve any leftover sauce to use as a garnish. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together butter and cocoa. Add vanilla and mix well.Then alternate adding milk and powdered sugar till all is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Frost cake.
- Sprinkle cake with pecans, then chocolate chips.
- To serve, cut slices and drizzle with caramel sauce.
!This is a moist and gooey cake. You may want to refrigerate to make it easier to slice.