Triple Chocolate Mousse Pie
An exquisite pie with a chocolate crust, chocolate mousse, and white chocolate mousse!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking, Mixing
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate Cookie Crust:
- 6 ounces chocolate cookie wafers (about 25 wafers), such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), melted and slightly cooled
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (I recommend Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs)
White Chocolate Mousse:
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin (I use Knox)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place the cookies in a food processor and pulse till crumbs are formed. Add the melted butter and pulse to combine. Scrape the bowl and pulse again till butter is evenly dispersed.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom of the spring-form pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Make chocolate mousse by placing the semisweet chocolate and ¼ cup of the cream into a heatproof bowl. Microwave gently, stopping and stirring at 30-second increments until smooth and melted. Set aside to cool (should not be hot when you add the whipped cream).
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Mix on high until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Transfer whipped whites to another bowl.
- Place the remaining ¾ cup of cream in the bowl and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate, then gently stir in the rest. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Scrape the mousse onto the cooled crust and smooth top with an offset spatula. Refrigerate uncovered for at least an hour before making the white chocolate mousse.
- To make the white chocolate mousse, sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and let stand at least 5 minutes to soften. Place the white chocolate and ½ cup of the cream in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave gently, stopping to stir at 30-second increments, till melted and smooth. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Whip the remaining 1 cup of cream until soft peaks form. Using a whisk, mix one-third of the whipped cream to the white chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whipped cream gently with a rubber spatula. Spoon the white chocolate mousse into the pan over the chocolate mousse. Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Return the cake to the refrigerator and chill until set, at least 2 hours.
- Garnish top with chocolate curls or chocolate shavings, if desired.
Total time does not include cooling and chilling times.