Tres Leches Cake
Alton Brown’s version of this “3 Milks” cake.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, plus extra to dust the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 1 tabblespoon sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour, or use Baker’s Joy, to coat a 9 x 13 pan.
- Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy on medium speed. Decrease to low and add sugar slowly. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined. Add vanilla and mix.
- Add dry ingredients in three batches and mix till just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake in the middle of your oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and cool for a half hour. Poke top of cake with fork or skewer. Allow cake to completely cool.
- Make the glaze by whisking the milks and half and half. Slowly pour over cake and refrigerate overnight. I did not use the last 1/4 cup of glaze so that it all absorbed.
- Before serving, make topping by whipping heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until mixture thickens and stiff peaks form. Spread topping over cake and refrigerate until serving.
- May garnish with sliced strawberries.