Thyme Kissed Tomato Soup
A Classic Tomato Soup flavored with thyme adapted from Fine Cooking.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Sauteing, Simmering
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour (all purpose is fine, but I like using Wondra because it doesn’t lump)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 28-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish, optional
- Grilled cheese fingers (cut grilled cheese into 4 strips), to serve, optional
- In a nonreactive 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, until onions are soft, but not brown. Add the flour and stir to mix.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and about ¼ teaspoon of both salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat stirring occasionally so the bottom does not burn. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprig. Let cool a bit, then add to blender to puree in small batches. Reheat if needed to serve. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with a small sprig of thyme and grilled cheese fingers if desired.