The Best Lemon Bars Recipe
Luscious lemon bars with a shortbread crust.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cold butter, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh strawberries, cut in half, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the crust ingredients until the butter is in very small pieces . Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake about 15 minutes or until the crust just starts to brown.
- To make the filling, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon juice, zest, flour, and salt. Immediately pour over hot crust when it comes out of the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 more minutes or until topping is firm and lightly browned.
- Cool, then cut a sliver off all sides before sprinkling with powdered sugar and cutting into bars. Garnish with berries if desired.
You may double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan or triple and bake in a jelly roll pan.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten