Swiss Butter Braid
A sweet, buttery loaf braided for the holidays. Adapted from Nick Malgieri.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Breads
- Cuisine: Swiss
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons or one envelope instant yeast (Red Star Platinum yeast preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, for glaze
- In stand mixer bowl with paddle attachment, combine milk, sugar and melted butter. Mix in eggs, then yeast. Slowly add in salt, then flour with mixer on low. Let continue to mix for 2 more minutes to knead (unless your mixer starts to overheat). Alternatively, knead by hand on lightly floured surface. Dough will be soft.
- Let rise in a greased bowl covered with greased plastic wrap at a warm room temperature for 1-1 1/2 hours or till doubled in bulk.
- Deflate dough and divide into 3 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-inch rope. Braid starting at the middle and working to one end, then repeating on the other side. Carefully transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise till doubled, about 1-11/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Whisk remaining egg and brush over the surface of the braid. Bake for 30 minutes, covering with foil for last 5-10 minutes if loaf is browning too fast.
- Cool on wire rack.
Total time does not include proofing time.