Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread
Tantalize your taste buds with this dense and delicious Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread! It’s the perfect way to enjoy summer zucchini!
When life or a neighbor gives you zucchini, make zucchini bread! Especially when it’s a lighter, healthier zucchini bread.
Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread
I’ve been taste-testing zucchini bread this summer, but the first was too oily, the next was weighed down with too much zucchini and not enough leavening. Then last but not least, I baked up this picture-perfect Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread.
Zucchini Bread Recipe with a Healthy Twist
With the addition of some King Arthur Flour’s White Whole Wheat Flour and half the amount of oil when compared to my Classic Zucchini Bread Recipe, this is healthier zucchini bread. Katie was not as thrilled with it as I was, but she’s my toughest critic.
I think she’d prefer that I served her actual cake for breakfast! I used a recommendation from one of the previous recipes and dusted the buttered pans with a nice coating of sugar before adding the batter. This Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread was moist, flavorful with a sweet crust. Finally a winner! You’ll also enjoy these Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins and this Banana Nut Bread. And for a savory option, these Zucchini Fritters are winners!
PRO-Tip: Quick bread batter should not be over-mixed. Use a rubber spatula, not a mixer, to add in the dry ingredients. Over-mixing will cause tunnels in your loaves and create a peaked top instead of a rounded topped muffin.
Here is the Archies who inspired me to dust my loaf pans with sugar after listening to this song from 1969!
- Butter and Sugar to coat the pans
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 pound zucchini (about 2 medium), coarsely grated
- Butter two 5 x 9-inch loaf pans then coat with sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Whisk together flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the sugars, whisking till mixture becomes a pale yellow color, about 2-3 minutes. Add the oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Mix in zucchini, then add the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Mix till just combined.
- Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 60-70 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes before removing the loaves to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Bread tastes best when served at room temperature and is even better then next day.
Adapted from Once Upon a Plate
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g