Waffles made with vanilla cake batter were layered with berries and cream to create this sensational Strawberry Waffle Cake!
Strawberry Waffle Cake
At our house, the hubby is the waffle maker. He takes the box biscuit mix out of the pantry and makes a hot breakfast for himself on the weekends. On occasion, I’ll whip up waffles from scratch and have even made some pretty spectacular savory waffles.
But these are pretty memorable, too. Instead of a standard waffle batter, I turned to a sweet white cake batter. This was just enough for three thick Belgian waffles. Waffles that tasted like cake. How about that???
The rest was easy. I beat some heavy cream and sliced some juicy, ripe strawberries then tossed them with a bit of sugar to bring out the juices. Alternating waffles, cream, and berries, the strawberry waffle “cake” was formed.
A Spin on Strawberry Shortcake
I’ve given up on trying to elicit quotes from the hubby. I’d always hope for, “It’s a culinary masterpiece,” but instead get, “This is good. Really good.” I think both are accurate. I sliced wedges and the gang was pleased.
I had our first local strawberries and this was the perfect way to showcase them. The family adores strawberry shortcake, and this cake was just a twist on the classic. I was thrilled with the beautiful presentation and rave reviews. Dust off your waffle maker and give this gem of a cake a try!! How do you make strawberry shortcake?
More Waffle Recipes You’ll Love:
Sweet and Sinful:
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
Strawberry Waffle Cake
A twist on strawberry shortcake made with cake batter waffles!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking, Whipping
- Cuisine: American
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar till blended. Add the vanilla and melted butter and whisk till combined. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of this dry mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until just combined. Add the remainder of the dry ingredient and whisk until combined, but do not overmix.
- Preheat your Belgium waffle maker (grease before heating if it’s not non-stick). Add as much batter as needed to make a waffle and cook till done. Repeat two more times or till all the batter is gone. Cool on a rack before assembling.
- Mix the sliced strawberries with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and set aside. Check for sweetness and add more sugar if needed.
- Whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Place one waffle on a serving plate. Top with ⅓ of the whipped cream, then arrange ⅓ of the berries over the cream. Repeat two more times.
- Serve within a few hours for the best results.
More Winning Waffle Recipes from the Blog: