A large cocoa meringue topped with whipped mascarpone cream and sliced ripe strawberries
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Australian, New Zealand
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar (I whiz granulated sugar in the food processor for a minute or so)
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon raspberry or balsamic vinegar (I used black currant balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups sliced strawberries, gently tossed with a tablespoon of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line baking sheet with parchment. Draw a 9-inch circle on parchment, the flip the paper over. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Add salt, then slowly add the sugar, while continuing to beat, until meringue is stiff and glossy. Sift cocoa powder over the meringue, then add vinegar, vanilla and chopped chocolate. Fold well till combined.
- Pile the meringue onto the baking sheet, keeping within the 9-inch circle. Smooth top and edges with an offset spatula. Place in oven and immediately decrease temperature to 300º. Bake for 1-1¼ hours till dry on edges and top. Pavlova will appear cracked. Turn off oven, open oven door, and allow to cool completely.
- To serve, carefully flip onto serving plate. Whip cream with powdered sugar, vanilla. Fold in mascarpone. Top pavlova with whipped cream, then sliced strawberries.