Strawberry Shortcake with White Chocolate Whipped Cream
An exquisite strawberry shortcake recipe topped with white chocolate whipped cream
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 cups flour plus more for rolling dough
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 stick cold butter
- 1 1/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 8 ounces good quality chocolate, I used Guittard
- 1 2/3 cup heavy cream
For strawberry topping:
- 3–4 cups of strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier, optional
- Preheat oven to 450º. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening in with pastry blender till resembles corn meal. Cut butter into 8 pieces and, one at a time, rub them into the flour with your fingers till they are flattened into thin sheets.
- Put the bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Add all the buttermilk except the last two tablespoons. Carefully toss with a spatula till well moistened. If the dough is too dry, add the remaining buttermilk. Lightly flour a Silpat or your countertop and roll the dough out to approximately 11 x 16. Fold the dough into thirds, then roll to about an inch thick.
- Cut into biscuits using round biscuit or cookie cutter. Dip the cutter into flour if it sticks to the dough. Gather scraps to make last couple biscuits. Bake about 15 minutes or till lightly browned.
- Make mousse while biscuits are cooking: Melt white chocolate with ⅔ cup cream in a microwave, stopping and stirring at short intervals till chocolate is melted, and ganache is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat remaining 1 cup of cream to stiff peaks. Fold about ⅓ of cream into cooled (should be thickened, but not firm) chocolate. Then fold in the rest of the cream. Chill for 2 hours before serving.
- For berries: slice strawberries and sweeten with sugar. Mix in Grand Marnier. Chill till ready to serve.
- To serve, break shortcakes in half, top bottom with a large dollop of mousse followed by spoonfuls of berries. Top with rest of shortcake.
Biscuit Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated and Mousse Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.