Strawberry Basil Crostini
Berries, basil and balsamic vinegar top cheesy toasts
- Prep Time: 20 minutew
- Total Time: 20 minutew
- Yield: 16 toasts 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Broiling, Spreading, Slicing
- Cuisine: American
- 16 baguette slices, cut at a slight angle, about 1/3 inch thick
- Olive oil
- 24 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1–2 teaspoons sugar, optional
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese, blue cheese or half of each
- 24 strawberries, sliced and hulled
- 8 basil leaves, stack a few, roll tightly and cut into thin slices (chiffonade)
- Aged balsamic vinegar (best quality you can get)
- If strawberries aren’t very sweet, place slices in a bowl and sprinkle with a teaspoon or two of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread slices on a sheet pan and brush lightly with olive oil. Broil for a minute or so, till browned on one side. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. I only toasted one side, but feel free to repeat on second side if desired.
- Mix mascarpone and your choice of goat or blue cheese till smooth. Spread over toasted side of bread. Layer slices of berries over cheese and sprinkle with basil.
- Right before serving, drizzle toasts with balsamic vinegar.