Stained Glass Cookies
Perfectly festive cookies for the holidays! Sugar cookie recipe adapted from Alton Brown.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 48 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies, Holiday
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- Jolly Ranchers candies, separated into colors and smashed into a powder (about 15-20 total)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. With mixer on low speed, slowly add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar. Roll out dough to ¼-1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Next, find a smaller cookie cutter in the same same, then cut out a center section of the larger version with a smaller cookie cutter to make a “window”. Place the cookies with the cut out about 1-inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Carefully spoon some of the crushed Jolly Ranchers into the middle of each cookie. Brush any that lands on the dough towards the middle with a dry pastry brush (or clean paint brush).
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges Cool for a few minutes on baking sheet, then move to cooling rack to finish cooling.
You will need coordinating cookie cutters, one smaller of a similar shape to cut out the opening for the “window.”