Spinach Salad with Pears, Cranberries and Candied Pecans
A tasty spinach salad with an autumnal flair!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Mixing, Sauting
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 firm pears Bosc or Bartlett, unpeeled, quartered, cored and cut into thin slices
- To make salad dressing, combine the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly. Set aside.
- To candy the nuts, melt butter in saucepan. Toss in pecans and mix till coated. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring, till caramelized. Place on parchment to cool.
- To assemble salad, toss spinach, onions and pears with dressing (rewhisk as needed). Top salad with cranberries and pecans.
Inspired by The New Thanksgiving Table by Diane Morgan.
You may soften your cranberries in a bit of salad dressing before adding to salad, if desired.