Spinach Onion Braid #Twelve Loaves
A lovely yeast bread braided around a delicious spinach and onion filling!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Bread, Side Dish
- Method: Kneading, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package instant yeast (I use Red Star Premium Yeast)
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (if using table salt use less)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10-ounce box frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine water, sugar, and yeast.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of oil, then the flours and salt. Knead dough on low speed 10 minutes (may also knead by hand).
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat surface. Cover dough with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Make filling. Saute onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil till soft. Let cool.
- Mix spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, oregano and salt till thoroughly mixed.
- Roll dough into an 18 x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread the filling down the center of the dough (going the long way) leaving 3+ inches of dough on each side of the filling and an inch of space on each end.
- Fold up the short edges over the filling. Cut away any excess dough. Cut an equal number of ¾ inch wide strips in the dough on each side of the filling, then alternating, fold strips up and over filling.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise another hour in a warm place. Preheat oven to 350º
- Whisk together egg and water and brush over loaf. Bake for 30-40 minutes till crust is golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.