This Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti is a perennial favorite at our house! Family-friendly and an easy, delicious entree!
The tasty pasta recipe is mixed with gooey cheese, tomatoes, black olives plus basil and red pepper flakes for an out of the ordinary meatless entree.
Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti
I recall the first time I made this Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti almost two decades ago. Bill came home from work, inquiring about dinner as is his routine. When I shared the name of this pasta dish, he grew quiet before asking, “Are you serving me fish???” His culinary vocabulary grew by two new words that day. Penne is a tubular type of pasta. Havarti is a creamy Danish cheese. Neither are fish. Lesson completed.
Perfect for Pasta Lovers
Kraft Deluxe or even this Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese are the sorts of pasta dishes Katie adores. But this spicy penne quickly became a family favorite, especially with the pasta loving daughter. She often requests this “spicy macaroni” for her birthday dinner…and it makes the rounds every Lent when we need a meatless meal.
More Meatless Meals:
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Eggplant Rollatin
- Pizza Margarita
- More Meatless Recipes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 10 ounces Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute onion and garlic till onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook till liquid is reduced. Check for seasonings and add more pepper flakes and salt if needed.
- Cook pasta in well-salted water according to package instructions. Drain well and mix into tomato sauce. Add Havarti and toss till well combined. Pour into a large, greased baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan, then olives. Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes, till hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with basil if desired.
!Adapted from American Favorites by Betty Rosbottom
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 1019mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g