This Martha Stewart recipe for Spaghetti No-Knife offers the best of summer flavors with little effort! Pasta is mixed with garlic, herbs, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella for a perfect hot weather meal!
For over a decade, I’ve been making this simple Spaghetti No-Knife recipe when the garden is bursting with ripe red tomatoes and a plethora of fresh herbs. The original recipe called for raw garlic, which can be a bit sharp and off-putting, so this go around, I went with a roasted version for a mellower flavor. Use the amounts as a guideline…I tend to add more mozzarella and tomatoes compared to the pasta. A perfect entree for those days when it is too darn hot to turn on the oven (do your garlic roasting early in the day). I had a box of Dreamfields Angel Hair pasta left from a food blogger conference, so I decided to test out this “Healthy Carb Living” option. It has a lower glycemic index and higher fiber than your traditional pasta…and though I’ve been chicken to try it, this pasta was terrific! Of course, this is perfectly delicious with any pasta you happen to have in your pantry.
September’s Improv Challenge, hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, features Pasta and Cheese. This Spaghetti No-Knife is a wonderful cold pasta dish. Use raw or roasted garlic and whatever herbs you like with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. And if you want to serve this as a side dish instead of an entree, whip up these delicious Italian Pesto Burgers.
- 1 pound pasta, I used spaghetti
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 2 pounds) cored and torn (or cut) into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons coarsely torn oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup torn (or thinly sliced) basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-6 roasted garlic cloves, chopped (place head of garlic in foil with top trimmed off, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, seal foil and roast at 400º for about 30 minutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/2+ pound fresh mozzarella, torn (or cut) into 1/2-inch pieces
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions
- While pasta is cooking, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, oregano, garlic, and red-pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Drain spaghetti and add to tomato mixture. Add mozzarella and toss to combine. Garnish with basil and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Total time: 30 minutes without extended marinating time
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 437mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 19g