Southern Living’s BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies passed the test of my discriminating family with flying colors! Chewy and delicious!
We’re tried a LOT of chocolate chip cookies throughout the years. These thick, delicious Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies always make for a happy crew.
Southern Living’s BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
The hubby considers himself an aficionado when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. He has sampled them across the country in every mall or bakery that happens to have any on display. Sans nuts, of course. And the higher the chocolate to dough ratio, the better.
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
The family loves BIG cookies so I used my 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to dish these out. Plus, when I splurge and use premium chocolate wafers (these are Guittard’s semisweet version), my gang is thrilled. You can often find these at higher-end markets, or Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table at a better price than Amazon.
Slightly under-baking keeps them chewy, as we all prefer chewy over crisp at my house. I hope you’ll test these out and see if they are the BEST chewy chocolate chip cookies you’ve tasted. If not, let me know your favorite recipe. If a thinner, yet still chewy cookie is your thing, check out these Thin and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. And Jacques Torres’ Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies have uprooted Nestles’ as the true family favorite cookie. But they do require a long refrigeration time before baking, and make a huge amount of cookies!
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
To make chewy cookies, you must look at the recipe, the process and the baking time.
For extra richness and chewiness, add an extra egg yolk.
Look for a recipe using brown sugar which provides extra moisture.
For better flavor, use butter instead of shortening.
Do not over mix or use a mixer to mix your cookie dough. A mixer can aerate the dough and create a cake-like consistency.
Over baking will make a crisp instead of a chewy cookie.
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes:
- Layered Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Dried Berries
- Killer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Chocolate Toffee Cookies
- Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- More Cookie Recipes
This post was originally shared in December, 2013. Photos and text were updated in 2019.
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate discs (or chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with paddle attachment of stand mixer until creamy. This can also be easily done by hand. Add eggs and 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, beating until blended.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until blended. Mix in chocolate by hand just until combined. Using a 2 tablespoon capacity cookie scoop, place cookie dough balls on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Adapted from Southern Living
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 130mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g