Mmm Soft Vanilla Caramels. Need an irresistible holiday treat to share with your friends and neighbors? Try these Soft Vanilla Caramels and sit back and wait for the rave reviews!
Christmas Week Continues!!!
Welcome to Day Three of Christmas Week. This event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We hope to inspire you to break out those holiday sprinkles and get your bake on! Today I’m sharing these soft vanilla caramels.
My family knows I’m a sucker for caramel desserts and straight up caramels are just as irresistible! These are a little softer than other recipes I have shared…and were perfect for filling my boozy holiday truffles. But these Soft Vanilla Caramels are terrific as a sweet nibble on your holiday buffet, too.
Soft Vanilla Caramels
Pick up a reliable candy thermometer and you, too, can make homemade Soft Vanilla Caramels. These caramels make a wonderful holiday gift. It takes a little time to boil the sugar and half and half mixture up to temperature, but it’s not complicated.
Just keep in mind that the molten bubbling mixture is dangerously hot. You may want to have a bowl of ice water nearby in case some accidentally drips on your skin.
The addition of corn syrup helps prevent recrystallization of the sugar, so it’s a crucial ingredient in this recipe. I don’t mind using it once or twice a year for special recipes. These Soft Vanilla Caramels keep forever in the freezer, so this is one treat you can make well ahead of the holidays. A double bonus!!
Swing by all the participants to see what they’ve been whipping up for the holidays:
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peppermint Spritz Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Scandinavian Fruit Soup by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Egg Nog Pound Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
- Coquito Cheesecake Flan by Mind Over Batter
- Mulled Wine Fruit Gums by Food Lust People Love
- Soft Caramels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Eggnog Icing by From Gate to Plate
UPDATE: giveaway closed and entry form removed
Giveaway Prizes include:
- One 5 piece set of Anolon Bakeware Set
- Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Quart Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
- Two Sets of Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars (each set includes 6 jars)
- One Set of 1 Dozen Assorted Cookie Sampler Box from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen Bake Shop
- Two Sets of Brownie Brittle Snack Sampler (each set includes One 5-ounce bag of each flavour)
- Plus 1 Copy of each of these cookbooks:
- One Autographed Copy of Make Ahead Bread by Donna Currie
- One Copy of The Mixer Bible by Meredith Deeds
- One Copy of 175 Best Babycakes Cake Pop Recipes by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss
- One Copy of 175 Best Mini Pie Recipes by Julie-Anne Hession
- One Copy of The 250 Best Brownies, Bars & Squares by Ester Brody
- One Copy of Oatrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of Adventures in Comfort Food by Kerry Alteiro
- One Copy of Food Truck Road Trip by Kim Pham
- One Copy of Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking by Cara Reed
- One Copy of 100 Juices, Smoothies and Healthy Snacks by Emily von Euw
- One Copy of CopyKat coms Dining Out at Home Cookbook Recipes by Stephanie Manley
- One Copy of Copykat.com’s Dining Out At Home Cookbook 2 by Stephanie Manley
Be sure to enter the giveaway below. Open to U.S. residents only. Good luck everyone!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You Might Need These to Make Soft Vanilla Caramels:Print
Soft Vanilla Caramels
Soft, vanilla infused caramels that are perfect for gifting!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 36 caramels
- Category: Dessert, Candy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with nonstick foil and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla and rum in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, till it begins to boil.
- Put candy thermometer into boiling mixture and continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn’t burn, till the temperature reaches 244º. Immediately add vanilla and rum, stir till combined and pour into prepared pan.
- Let cool completely. Cut into small squares or rectangles. Wrap in waxed paper. Store in refrigerator. Freezes well.