Need an irresistible holiday treat to share with your friends and neighbors? Try these Soft Vanilla Caramels, sit back and wait for the rave reviews!
Christmas Week Continues!!!
Welcome to Day Three of Christmas Week. This event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We hope to inspire you to break out those holiday sprinkles and get your bake on! Today I’m sharing these soft vanilla caramels.
My family knows I’m a sucker for caramel desserts and straight up caramels are just as irresistible! These are a little softer than other recipes I have shared…and were perfect for filling my boozy holiday truffles. But these Soft Vanilla Caramels are terrific as a sweet nibble on your holiday buffet, too.
Soft Vanilla Caramels
Pick up a reliable candy thermometer and you, too, can make homemade Soft Vanilla Caramels. These caramels make a wonderful holiday gift. It takes a little time to boil the sugar and half and half mixture up to temperature, but it’s not complicated.
PRO-Tip: Candy making can be tricky. Use a heavy saucepan for this recipe as it will keep the temperature of the caramel mixture stable. Make sure not to make drastic changes to the heat of the burner as this may cause the caramel to split. Slow and steady is best!
Just keep in mind that the molten bubbling mixture is dangerously hot. You may want to have a bowl of ice water nearby in case some accidentally drips on your skin.
The addition of corn syrup helps prevent recrystallization of the sugar, so it’s a crucial ingredient in this recipe. I don’t mind using it once or twice a year for special recipes. These Soft Vanilla Caramels keep forever in the freezer, so this is one treat you can make well ahead of the holidays. A double bonus!!
Swing by all the participants to see what they’ve been whipping up for the holidays:
- Peppermint Spritz Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Scandinavian Fruit Soup by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Egg Nog Pound Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
- Mulled Wine Fruit Gums by Food Lust People Love
UPDATE: giveaway closed and entry form removed
You Might Need These to Make Soft Vanilla Caramels:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with nonstick foil and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla and rum in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, till it begins to boil.
- Put candy thermometer into boiling mixture and continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn, till the temperature reaches 244º. Immediately add vanilla and rum, stir till combined and pour into prepared pan.
- Let cool completely. Cut into small squares or rectangles. Wrap in waxed paper. Store in refrigerator. Freezes well.