These Soft Shell Salmon Tacos are garnished with the works: fresh mango salsa, tangy cabbage slaw and a spicy lime sriracha sauce! Plus the roasted salmon makes these fish tacos a healthier dinner option.
Soft Shell Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
The hubby has always taken a pass when I’ve made fish tacos. So last week, when he called on his way home from work, there was silence when I told him we were having fish tacos for dinner. Crickets. I let him sweat it out.
His childhood experience with seafood included salmon loaf and tuna fish casserole. Slowly, he’s learned to love shrimp, fresh salmon and even crab cakes. I didn’t reveal that these were salmon tacos, and had to giggle inside, knowing there was a strong possibility he’d enjoy my soft shell salmon tacos.
Three Amazing Garnishes
You can make any or all three of the accompaniments to these tacos. I’d recommend the cabbage slaw tossed in a simple vinaigrette. Definitely a classic pairing. But the mangoes in the market were calling my name so I created a vibrant mango salsa with some heat from a single jalapeno.
Last but not least, I whisked up an easy lime, sriracha cream sauce which can be drizzled over the works just before taking your first bite. How would you make yours??? Bill dived into his taco donned with slaw and salsa with gusto and gave it two thumbs up. See, mama knows best! Another victory.
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Lime Sriracha Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use Hellmann's organic)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 4-ounce salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 4-8 flour tortillas
- To make the slaw, toss together the cabbage, bell pepper and onion in a bowl. In a Pyrex liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil and salt. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently. Set aside.
- To make salsa, place mangoes, bell pepper, onion and cilantro in a bowl. In a measuring up or bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over mango mixture and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- To make the lime sriracha sauce, whisk together all ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- To make the rub for the salmon, mix together the cumin, chili powder, brown sugar and salt. Rub all over the top and sides of the salmon. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place salmon on an oiled grill pan, skin side down and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until just cooked through (time will vary depending on thickness of your salmon). Set aside.
- To assemble, place one tortilla on a plate, flake one salmon fillet, discarding the skin. Place all or half of the salmon on the tortilla (depending on your preference--I like half the salmon and lots of slaw), top with slaw, salsa and sauce and serve.