Soft Chewy Cream Caramels
Buttery homemade caramel candies that will outshine any grocery store version!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 64 1-inch caramels 1x
- Category: Dessert. Candy
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (2 sticks), butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Line an 8×8 pan with non-stick foil. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the sugar, cream and corn syrup. Mix and bring to a gentle boil
- Insert a candy thermometer and continue boiling until the candy reaches 247-248 degrees. If you like your caramel slightly firmer, let cook to 250 degrees. This can take 45 minutes to an hour, so be patient.
- Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan.
- Allow to cool, then lift caramel from pan using the foil as a sling. Place on a cutting board and slice into 1-inch squares. Wrap in wax paper.
- These freeze well.
Be very cautious as the boiling caramel is extremely hot and can burn your skin.