Seven Layer Bars, Magic Cookie Bars or Hello Dollies? Whatever you call these decadent layered coconut bars, they are winners!
Extra Thick, Extra Rich Seven Layer Bars
“Magic Cookie Bars” were a childhood favorite. Typically topped with butterscotch and chocolate chips in my neck of the woods, I went the triple chocolate route. Quality butterscotch chips are a rare commodity.
White, semisweet and bittersweet discs covered the extra thick, gooey coconut filling to took these gems to a new, more decadent level! Not all Seven Layer Bars actually have seven layers, but these do; just count them: graham cracker crust, sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, coconut, AND pecans!
The Best Seven Layer Bars: Thicker and Extra Gooey
Besides shaking up the chips, I made these seven layer bars in a smaller pan to create a thicker result. I also reserved some of the coconut for a final sprinkle which allowed for a brown, slightly crispy topping.
If you prefer the more classic bars, layer the chocolate, pecans and coconut and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top before baking. These tweaks made for an out of this world dessert–that’s why I dubbed them the BEST Seven Layer Bars!
More Tropical Delights from My Blogger Friends:
Tidbits and Pupus
- Chicken and Lemongrass Sugarcane Skewers by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Coconut crusted Tofu with Spicy Mango Cucumber Topping by Soni’s Food
- Larp (Laos chicken salad) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Midwest Style Loco Moco by Our Good Life
- Tropical Sunrise Fruit Salad with Coconut Chia Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Caribbean Black Beans with Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Condiments and Sauces
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce by Magnolia Days
- Cilantro Margarita by An Appealing Plan
- Coconut Mojito by Flour On My Face
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lava Flow by Nosh My Way
- Bali Spicy Grilled Fish – Ikan Bakar Jimbaran by Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp Roll with Tropical Fruit Slaw by Food Done Light
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Mango Barbecued Pork Chops by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mango Lime Fajitas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pineapple Pork by Basic N Delicious
- Pineapple, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza by Family Foodie
- Catibias o Cativias (Dominican Yucca Empanadas) by The Petit Gourmet
- Shrimp Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tropical Chicken Burgers by Momma’s Meals
- Whole Roasted Bream with a Ginger-Tamarind Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- The Best Seven Layer Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Double Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Majarete Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mini Mango Cheesecakes by The Freshman Cook
- Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin-Coconut Biscotti by What Smells So Good?
- Tropical Fruit Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Tropical Layered Poke Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Ube Panna Cotta by The Joyful Foodie
- Whole Wheat Mango Coconut Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Tropical Foods and Drinks Sunday Supper
- The Best Wines to Pair with Tropical Food #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
The Best Seven Layer Bars
These extra thick and gooey seven layer bars will win your heart!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut, divided
- 1/3 cup each of white chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and semisweet chocolate discs (or chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick foil and set aside.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar. Pat into bottom of prepared pan.
- Layer the chocolate discs, pecans and half the coconut over the crust. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top followed by the rest of the coconut.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or till coconut is lightly browned.
Check out my Cookies and Bars Board on Pinterest!