Seven Layer Bars, Magic Cookie Bars or Hello Dollies? Whatever you call these decadent layered coconut bars, they are winners!
With a graham cracker crust, white chocolate and dark chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans drizzled with sweetened condensed milk, these Magic Cookie Bars are pure bliss.
The Best Seven Layer Bars
“Magic Cookie Bars” were a childhood favorite. Typically topped with butterscotch and chocolate chips in my neck of the woods, I went the triple chocolate route. Quality butterscotch chips are a rare commodity.
White, semisweet and bittersweet discs covered the extra thick, gooey coconut filling to took these gems to a new, more decadent level! Not all Seven Layer Bars actually have seven layers, but these do; just count them: graham cracker crust, sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, coconut, AND pecans!
How to Make Magic Cookie Bars
Magic Cookie Bars are one of the easiest, most decadent dessert bars you’ll ever make! After patting in a simple graham cracker crust, the other ingredients are layered before a can of sweetened condensed milk is drizzled across the surface.
Besides shaking up the chips, I made these seven layer bars in a smaller pan to create a thicker magic cookie bar. I also reserved some of the coconut for a final sprinkle which allowed for a brown, slightly crispy topping.
PRO: Tip: Lining the baking pan with non-stick foil makes for easy cleanup. This is key when you have sticky components in your recipe. It also gives you a sling with which to lift the bars out of the pan to a cutting board.
After patting in the graham cracker crust, use the bottom of one of your dry measuring cups to press and smooth out the top of the crust.
If you have time, toast your pecans in a dry saute pan or for 3-5 minutes on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven. Watch carefully and stir a few times so they don’t burn. This will enhance the flavor by bringing out the natural oils.
If you prefer the more classic bars, layer the chocolate, pecans and all the coconut and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top before baking.
A few easy tweaks made for an out of this world dessert–that’s why these are the BEST Seven Layer Bars!
How Do You Store Magic Cookie Bars/7 Layer Bars?
Typically, magic cookie bars do not need to be refrigerated. But if it’s very hot or it will take a long time to eat the whole batch, feel free to store them in the refrigerator in a covered container. Covering the bars, in their baking pan, with foil works well.
Since this recipe is extra gooey, I do recommend storing this version in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Magic Cookie Bars?
Yes, they store well for up the 3 months in the freezer. Separate the layers of bars with parchment paper and freeze in a sealed container.
More of the Best Cookie Bar Recipes:
- Coconut Apricot Bars – one of my most popular recipes
- Girl Scout Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar Cookies – if you love Tagalongs, you’ll go crazy for these bars
- Cookie Dough Bars – a safer way to enjoy cookie dough
- Biscoff Rolo Bars – Biscoff lover? Try it in a cookie bar
- Butterfinger Cheesecake Bars – Who can resist the combo of cheesecake and Butterfingers?
- French Silk Brownies – If making a pie intimidates you, try a brownie version of French Silk Pie!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – Not just for autumn indulgences!
- More Bar Cookies Recipes
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut, divided
- 1/3 cup white chocolate
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate and
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate discs or chips
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick foil and set aside.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar. Pat into bottom of prepared pan.
- Layer the chocolate discs, pecans and half the coconut over the crust. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top followed by the rest of the coconut.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or till coconut is lightly browned.
Keep refrigerated as they are extra gooey at room temperature.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g