Rustic Berry Turnovers
These scrumptious mini berry pies are adapted from Fine Cooking.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 turnovers 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie, Tarts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (9 ounces) flour
- 14 tablespoons (7 ounces) cold butter, each tablespoon cut in half
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh berries
- Milk, to brush on and seal pastry
- In food processor, combine all pastry ingredients and pulse until dough starts to clump together. Remove to counter and gather dough together. Flatten into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Gently toss the berries with 2 tablespoons sugar, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300º. Cover one or two rimmed cookie sheets with parchment.
- Roll out one pastry disk on floured surface to about ⅛ inch thickness. Cut out six 4-inch rounds with biscuit cutter. Using spatula move one dough round to prepared sheet. Place about one tablespoon of berries on one side of round. Brush edges with milk and fold other side of dough over berries. Use fingers or fork to seal edges. Repeat with the rest of the rounds. Then repeat with second disk of dough. Refrigerate turnovers for at least 15 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Brush turnovers with milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or till golden brown. Cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can make half with one berry and half with another like I did. Just put the berries in separate bowls and mix half the filling ingredients into each bowl (1 tablespoon sugar for each since the last tablespoon will be used to sprinkle over the dough before baking).