These Red Velvet Thumbprints are a fun Valentine’s Day treat. Today, I’m joining a group of bloggers to raise money for No Kid Hungry while showing some love to another blog!
Red Velvet Thumbprints
Red velvet just shouts Valentine’s Day. My daughter is a big fan (she requested this Red Velvet Checkerboard Cake for her birthday!), but the hubby, well, not so much. The token amount of cocoa power doesn’t result in an ooey, gooey chocolate treat like he’d prefer.
But, despite his persnickety palate, he loved these red velvet thumbprint cookies. Who wouldn’t be a fan of these buttery sugar cookies with a mega dose of red food coloring and that bit of cocoa topped with either a white chocolate wafer or a white chocolate Hug??? They were a hit!
Food Blogger Love
My assignment for this fun food blogger event was actually the organizers, The PinterTestKitchen. This mother-daughter-daughter (Sharon, Allison and Jess) blogging team is from rural Pennsylvania and loves to share family favorites and taste-test new recipes they find on Pinterest.
They especially love baking cookies (me, too!). They try to post recipes that anyone could make, nothing too fussy or weird ingredients that are hard to find, since living in the country means that they have to drive 60+ minutes to get to a specialty food store.
Check out and follow them on their Website – Facebook – Pinterest
You may want to head over to their blog to see what they thought of these Red Velvet Thumbprints and my runner up recipe, Reese’s Peanut Butter Heart Cookies! Both would be perfect for a special Valentine’s Day treat!
Don’t you just love the concept of their blog? You’ll definitely want to poke around when you visit. I bet you’ll find some terrific recipes to add to your menu. Scroll to the bottom of this post to see all the other Valentine’s Day treats created for this event. I’m certain you’ll find some new blogs that you’ll want to visit again and again!
More Red Velvet Recipes You’ll Love:
- Red Velvet Cake from I Am Baker
- Favorite Red Velvet Recipes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Velvet Chocolate-Swirled Brownie Bars from Averie Cooks
- Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Icing from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate from Southern Plate
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- White chocolate melting wafers (I used Ghirardelli) or White Chocolate Hershey's Hugs
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the egg, food coloring, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda to the mixture and blend together.
- Roll out pieces of dough into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave room for them to spread out. Press your thumb into the middle of the ball of dough, about halfway down.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes at 350º.
- Immediately out of the oven, place a white chocolate wafer or a Hug in the center of each cookie, then remove from cookie sheet. Let cool completely.
Red velvet thumbprint cookies filled with white chocolate or topped with a white chocolate Hershey's Hug. Adapted from The Pinterest Kitchen via BettyCrocker.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1217 Total Fat: 64g Saturated Fat: 40g Trans Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 216mg Sodium: 437mg Carbohydrates: 150g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 67g Protein: 14g