A delectable triple berry pie with a crumb topping
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 homemade or store bought pie crust
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Place the berries a colander over a large bowl and let thaw.
- Make crumb topping by mixing together flour, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix in melted butter till combined. Set aside.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with a pastry crust. Refrigerate while prepping filling and topping.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Take one cup of berry mixture and add them along with the sugar to a saucepan. Cook over low heat till they start to boil.
- Mix cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of water and add to the fruit along with about a half cup of berry juices from the bowl beneath the colander. Bring to a boil and cook till mixture thickens and becomes clear.
- Pour berries from the colander into a bowl. Mix in thickened berries and juices, then pour the berry mixture into pie crust. Crumble topping over filling.
- Bake at 375º for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 350º and bake another 45 minutes till filling is bubbling. Cover with foil if topping starts to get too dark.
- Let cool an hour or more before serving.
Allow additional time for thawing berries.
If your berries aren’t very juicy, you may want to decrease your cornstarch to 3 tablespoons.