Braided Raspberry Danish
Braided Raspberry Danish – an elegant, plaited breakfast pastry
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Cuisine: Bread, Breakfast, Brunch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry active yeast, I use Red Star Yeast
- 2 2/3– 3 cups flour, I used King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk
- Combine the sugar, salt, yeast and 2/3 cups flour in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Heat the milk and the butter in a small pan over low heat until the butter melts and the mixture is very warm. Check to make sure milk is not over 115º.
- Slowly add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing them together at a low speed with the paddle attachment.
- Once combined, increase the speed to medium and mix for two minutes more.
- Add the one egg and 2/3 more cups flour.
- Beat the mixture for a couple minutes.
- Then stir in enough additional flour (about 1 1/3 cups) to make a soft dough.
- Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook and knead dough for10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic (on low speed only so as to not burn out the motor).
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough ball in a large, greased bowl and then flip the dough over so that the greased side faces up.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for one hour or until doubled.
- To prepare the raspberry filling, whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar and berries. Mix in the cornstarch slurry.
- Gently simmer for a couple minutes till the sauce thickens and becomes tranluscent. Set aside.
- Punch down the dough and form into a ball.
- Working with the dough ball, roll it out on a lightly-floured surface into a 12 x 15-inch rectangle.
- Place the dough on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spread the raspberry mixture in a 4-inch strip down the middle of the rectangle.
- On the sides of the berry mixture, cut the dough into 1-inch wide strips and fold them alternately across the berry center.
- Cover the pan with a towel and let the bread rise for one hour or until doubled.
- When the bread has doubled in size, mix the egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush the dough with the egg glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350º; bake for 20 minutes or until the top is light brown and glazed.
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk till mixture reaches desired consistency; drizzle the powdered sugar glaze over the top.
- May serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from itsybitsyfoodies.com
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 381kcal
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 96mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 61mg