Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
This scrumptious Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables makes a luscious side dish or a light and healthy entree! It’s impossible not to have seconds!
Tossed in a balsamic dressing and filled with colorful vegetables, this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad can easily be made vegan or vegetarian by swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Versatile and delicious!
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
Now that spring has sprung and shorts are being donned, many of my blogger friends have been posting low cal, healthy recipes. I seemed to have ignored that memo. But I did have a bag of quinoa in my pantry…and I felt it my duty as a seasoned food blogger to share a delicious salad chock full of nutrients. Have I scared you off? I hope not because this quinoa salad with roasted vegetables was splendid.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe
There’s a bit of chopping and roasting involved…eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, garlic, and red bell pepper are all diced and cooked at high heat to concentrate their flavors. Mixed into cooked quinoa with sun-dried tomatoes, basil and a simple balsamic vinaigrette produced a heavenly mixture of flavors and textures.
This quinoa salad can easily be made vegan or vegetarian by cooking the quinoa in salted water or vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I ate this quinoa salad for lunch 5 days in a row…and I was seriously disappointed when it was all gone. If you haven’t tried quinoa yet, this is a sensational recipe to test it out!
Note: Though quinoa is a rare plant source that’s a complete protein (meaning it contains all the essential amino acids), it is not a high protein food like meat and eggs.
More Terrific Healthy Recipes
Along with some of my favorite blogger friends, we are ushering in a healthy spring by sharing tasty AND nutritious dishes:
1.Kelli of Kelli’s Kitchen – Cornish Hens with Mango Avocado Chutney.
2. Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
3. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic – Farro with Dried Cranberries and Pistachios
4. Samantha of The Little Ferraro Kitchen – Spring Risotto with Leeks, Spinach, and Peas
5. Shanna of Pineapple and Coconut – Fresh Pineapple, Avocado, and Pea Shoot Salad
6. Marnely of Cooking with Books – Hearty Spring Quinoa Salad
7. Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Salmon with Quinoa Salad
8. Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake – Thai Vegetable Quinoa Bowl
Plus more of my Easy Healthy Recipes
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables
A quinoa salad chock full of delicious vegetables! Inspired by Once Upon a Tart.
- 1 1/2 cup dried quinoa, cooked (cook according to package instructions using chicken broth instead of water)
- Chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small eggplant cut into small cubes (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- Salt, to sprinkle over eggplant
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 yellow squash, cut into small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 1 red onion, diced fine
- 1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar (I used The Olive Tap Aceto Balsamico di Modena)
- 10 marinated sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chiffonade (leaves rolled tightly and sliced into thin strips)
- Preheat oven to 450º. Cook quinoa as directed above. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil and toss. Let cool.
- Put the eggplant in a colander and sprinkled with salt. Let rest about 20 minutes.
- Toss the zucchini and yellow squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/3 of the minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast for about 8-10 minutes or till just tender. Add to bowl of quinoa.
- Toss the pepper and onion with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/3 of the garlic, and salt and pepper like with the squash. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, then add to the quinoa.
- Repeat with the eggplant but without adding more salt. Roast for about 15-20 minutes, then add to quinoa.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Gently toss and check for seasonings.
This can also be made with Orzo pasta instad of the quinoa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.
57 Comments on “Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables”
Quinoa is one of my favorites, wish I could get my husband to try it, but I will make it for myself…..
Lately I have been loving to smash an avocado, mix with feta and tomatoes, and spread on a whole grain tortilla. Yum! Thank you for the wonderful giveaway.
fairyfractal at gmail dot com
I seemed to have missed that memo too! Oh well! Even bikini season needs dessert! This salad looks delicious! I love all the roasted veggies! Perfect for meatless Monday!
It’s true that as soon as the weather warms up, we’re all a lot more interested in eating salads! I love quinoa and I do use it a lot with salads. Never with eggplant though so this is something I’d be interested in trying xx
Can’t get enough of quinoa! This salad looks right up my alley, Liz.
Have a beautiful weekend!
I am such a fan of salad in all shapes and forms. I will try the quinoa with roasted veggies as it sounds wonderful. I use just about everything in my salad from fruit to nuts literally. They play a big part in salad making with pumpkin and sunflower seeds used a lot too. When I make a salad such as tuna, egg, chicken or turkey I have started substituting 3/4 Greek yogurt to 1/4 low fat mayo ratio. My husband and I have come to prefer the lighter flavor and I perk it up with vinegar and hot sauce. I’m please summer is coming as this is our meal at least 4 or 5 nights a week.
What a fantastic salad! I could eat this all day long…and feel good about it!
This salad looks fantastic! I love the colors and the roasted veggies! I love making ratatouille!
Quinoa salad of any sort makes me happy and this one especially so. Yum.
What a deliciousness on a plate! And, so healthy, too!
I’m a salad person – I love making giant healthy salads with all kinds of good stuff in them
Just gorgeous! Perfect for springtime.
These roasted vegetables look so delicious, and are healthier too now 😀
Choc Chip Uru
Also Liz I am still not getting subscriptions, I am sorry 🙁
We love to make chicken and spinach pasta bake. We grow our own spinach.
Fabulous, healthy salad….love the quinoa. Wish it was cheaper over here.
My healthiest meal would probably be a hearty veggie soup. Your salad sounds great and quinoa is on my new foods list:@)
This is like my go-to meal when I need something quick and easy. It’s my favorite!
I love your salad that I did for SRC which had quinoa as well. It is definitely time to revisit salads and healthy dishes!!!!!
Steel cut oats in the crock pot.
Roasted vegetables, salads, kale chips!