Potato Shingled Salmon
A simple salmon recipe featuring a fillet topped with pesto and wrapped in paper thin slices of potato.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 29 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Seafood
- Method: Sauteing
- Cuisine: American
- 4 8-ounce fillets of salmon, skin removed
- 1–2 medium russet potatoes
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons basil pesto
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Peel potatoes.Thinly slice using a mandolin or benriner (the slices should be paper thin).
- Lay out potatoes in a rectangle for each fillet. The slices should overlap and the rectangle should be equal to the length of the salmon fillets and wide enough to wrap over the salmon with a slight overlap.
- Brush the potatoes with a light coat of olive oil and top with a piece of salmon. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, then cover with about 1½ tablespoons pesto. Fold the potato slices over the salmon and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick skillet. When heated to medium- medium high, place as many wrapped salmon fillets as will fit in the pan without overcrowding. Cook until bottom potatoes are golden brown, then carefully flip to brown the tops and finally the sides. Depending on the thickness of your fillets, the salmon should be cooked after about 10-15 minutes in the skillet.
- Serve immediately.