Homemade Pizza Margherita
My family’s favorite pizza!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza 1x
- Category: Pizza, Bread
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 ½ cups warm water, 105-115 degrees (use a thermometer)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast, (one 1/4 ounce packet, I prefer Red Star Yeast)
- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-ounce ball of fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 2 medium to large garden tomatoes or 4–6 plum tomatoes, cut into thin slices and drained on paper toweling
- Fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Combine water, honey, and yeast. Let rest about 5-10 minutes..mixture should be foamy. Mix flour and salt the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the dough hook. Knead on low speed (check your manufacturer’s instructions so you don’t burn out your motor) or knead by hand for 10 minutes. Dough should be elastic and slightly sticky.
- Oil a mixing bowl, add dough then turn to coat dough with oil. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
- Place pizza stone into oven and preheat to 450º.
- Punch dough down and divide dough in half (freeze half for use later). Pat out dough into a large circle onto parchment paper, top with tomatoes, cheese, then season with salt, pepper and basil strips. Drizzle with olive oil. Using pizza peel, slide pizza and parchment onto pizza stone. Bake about 15 minutes or till crust is brown and cheese is bubbly.
Dough recipe adapted from Cuisine at Home (note that this recipe will make enough for 2 pizzas. Save half for another day or double the toppings).
Total time does not reflect proofing time.