Patriotic Stars and Stripes Berry Pie
A raspberry and blueberry pie decked out for the holidays with stars and stripes!
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie, Patriotic
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 11 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 7 tablespoons cold shortening, cut into tablespoon chunks
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Sanding sugar
- Make crust by pulsing together the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Add butter cubes and shortening and pulse until it resembles corn meal. Sprinkle with the ice water (make sure no cubes get into the dough) and pulse until dough comes together. Divide into ⅔ (for bottom crust) and ⅓ (for stars and stripes) portions, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. You may also use your own recipe or sheets of pre-made pastry.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the raspberries in one bowl and the blueberries in another.
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in small bowl.. Add ¼ cup sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon water and ¼ teaspoon almond extract to blueberries.Toss gently. Add the rest of the sugar mixture and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to the raspberries and gently toss.
- Roll out the larger piece of dough on a lightly floured surface and fit into the bottom (and up sides) of a 9-inch pie plate. Flute the edges as desired.
- Fold piece of aluminum foil several times make a 2-inch high divider. Place in the pie crust to make a division for the blueberries and raspberries, separating the pie into 2 sections, one about half the size of the other (look at photos for approximate placement). Spoon the blueberry mixture into ⅓ portion of pie crust. Spoon raspberry mixture into larger area of pie. Carefully remove foil. Check fruit to make surface as level as can be.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 11-inch circle. Score the dough to divide it into ⅓ and ⅔ sections Cut 5 wavy stripes, about ¾ inch wide from the larger section. Place over the raspberries and trim if necessary.
- From the smaller section cut out stars with small star cookie cutter. Arrange over blueberries.
- Brush crust with beaten egg; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip of aluminum foil (I didn’t do this but my crust got rather dark. I’d recommend including this step).
- Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Reduce oven to 375°. Continue baking 30-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbling. Cool pie 1 hour before serving.