Patriotic Stars and Stripes Berry Pie
I had the urge to make a flag pie for Memorial Day. This Patriotic Stars and Stripes Berry Pie is both festive and irresistible!
An American Berry Pie rivals apple pie for the most patriotic dessert! The arrangement of fruit and the crust toppers make this fruit pie a delightful addition to your Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day menu!
Why You Must Make this Berry Pie
- I turned to this American Berry Pie from the Land o’ Lakes website in order to have a nice compact filling for a level pie. It worked perfectly.
- Then a star cookie cutter and a knife were used to make a festive crust resembling a flag.
- You have TWO filling options from which to choose: raspberry or blueberry!
I was awed by Wine and Glue’s spectacular Firework Sugar Cookie Pie when I was pondering my concept for a patriotic dessert. But I finally realized a fruit pie was in order. I was a little apprehensive about making this festive pie.
I’ve tried to place decorative pastry atop fruit pies before with less than stellar results. As the fruit cooks, the surface loses any semblance of being level and the imagery is skewed with dips and divots. So I turned to this American Berry Pie from the Land o’ Lakes website for a more compact filling.
How to Make a Patriotic Pie
Hey, it looks like a flag!! Plus it’s Red, sort of “Whitish,” and Blue. The fillings were tasty, though less juicy than my typical berry pies.
But since the goal was to have a recognizable representation of our stars and stripes, I considered this a victory. The picky hubby is a pie connoisseur, and he nearly single-handedly devoured this tasty dessert!
- Make crust in the food processor and chill. Or use a premade crust.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the raspberries in one bowl and the blueberries in another and add sugar, cornstarch, and almond extract to each bowl, and gently toss.
- Roll out the bottom crust, fit into the pie plate and flute the edges.
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil several times to make a 2-inch high divider. Place in the pie crust to divide into one larger and one smaller section.
- Add the blueberries to the smaller section and the raspberries to the larger section. Try to make the fillings as level as possible.
- Roll out the remaining ball of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 11-inch circle. Cut 5 wavy stripes, about ¾ inch wide from 2/3 of the circle, and stars from the remaining dough.
- Arrange the stripes over the raspberries Arrange the stars over the blueberries.
- Brush crust with beaten egg; sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Cover the edge of crust with a 2-inch strip of aluminum foil (I didn’t do this but my crust got rather dark. I’d recommend including this step).
- Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Reduce oven to 375°. Continue baking 30-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbling.
- Cool pie 1 hour before serving.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. Our menu this month features all things Red, White, and Blue as well as all things that celebrate the USA! We have quite a spread for you this month, including a cocktail, an appetizer and an entree pizza, salad, and two spectacular desserts. This month, Barb from Creative Culinary is hosting.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
July 4th Picnic Menu
- Red, White and Blue Pina Colada from Spice Roots
- Grilled Patriotic Pizza from Pastry Chef Online
- Patriotic Composed Vegetable Salad from Mother Would Know
- Hydrating Fruit Salad from Healthy Delicious
- Patriotic Cookie Cake
- Stars and Stripes Patriotic Berry Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red, White and Blue Shortcake with Lemon Pound Cake from Creative Culinary
More Patriotic Recipes You’ll Love:
- Red White and Blueberry Popsicles from The View from Great Island
- Patriotic Monster Cookies
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert
- Red White and Blue Strawberries
- Patriotic Skillet Cookie
- Holiday Recipes
Patriotic Stars and Stripes Berry Pie
A raspberry and blueberry pie decked out for the holidays with stars and stripes!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 11 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 7 tablespoons cold shortening, cut into tablespoon chunks
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Sanding sugar
- Make crust by pulsing together the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Add butter cubes and shortening and pulse until it resembles corn meal. Sprinkle with the ice water (make sure no cubes get into the dough) and pulse until dough comes together. Divide into ⅔ (for bottom crust) and ⅓ (for stars and stripes) portions, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. You may also use your own recipe or sheets of pre-made pastry.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the raspberries in one bowl and the blueberries in another.
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in small bowl.. Add ¼ cup sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon water and ¼ teaspoon almond extract to blueberries.Toss gently. Add the rest of the sugar mixture and ¼ teaspoon of almond extract to the raspberries and gently toss.
- Roll out the larger piece of dough on a lightly floured surface and fit into the bottom (and up sides) of a 9-inch pie plate. Flute the edges as desired.
- Fold piece of aluminum foil several times make a 2-inch high divider. Place in the pie crust to make a division for the blueberries and raspberries, separating the pie into 2 sections, one about half the size of the other (look at photos for approximate placement). Spoon the blueberry mixture into ⅓ portion of pie crust. Spoon raspberry mixture into larger area of pie. Carefully remove foil. Check fruit to make surface as level as can be.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 11-inch circle. Score the dough to divide it into ⅓ and ⅔ sections Cut 5 wavy stripes, about ¾ inch wide from the larger section. Place over the raspberries and trim if necessary.
- From the smaller section cut out stars with small star cookie cutter. Arrange over blueberries.
- Brush crust with beaten egg; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip of aluminum foil (I didn't do this but my crust got rather dark. I'd recommend including this step).
- Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Reduce oven to 375°. Continue baking 30-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbling. Cool pie 1 hour before serving.
Make sure filling is level to make adding the stars and stripes easier.
Use foil to cover the outer crust if it starts to brown too much.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 6gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g
26 Comments on “Patriotic Stars and Stripes Berry Pie”
This pie is perfect for celebrating the 4th! So delicious and very festive!
This pie is such a show stopper! Everyone always raves about it!
There is not a cuter patriotic pie on this planet! So excited to make it for Fourth of July.
This pie is so delicious and tasty! My family loves this recipe! Can’t wait to make it again!
I’m amazed at how well you were able to separate the blue from the red! It’s gorgeous.
The results here are definitely stellar and it this should grace the cover of someone’s magazine.You also chose he perfect pie dish for this creation.