If you’re a fan of mocha desserts, these Palm Beach Mocha Brownies are the ultimate treat! They’re rich, dense and irresistible!
This post was originally shared in 2010, but new photos and text were added in 2018.
Palm Beach Mocha Brownies
For 15 years, our book club meeting in December has involved a lot of gift giving. My presents always come from the kitchen…I’ve made vanilla extract, limoncello, biscotti, caramel sauce, etc. This year, I decided to make Spicy Sugared Cashews along with some decadent, adult fudgy mocha brownies. Adult only because my children will certainly taste the espresso powder and almond extract and complain that they taste funny, although my 23 year old is positive he won’t be bothered by a little coffee taste. Maida Haetter’s recipes do not disappoint; she is a master of chocolate and desserts. If you haven’t tried her recipes, these Palm Beach Mocha Brownies are an excellent place to start!
Fudgy Mocha Browies
I’d forgotten all about this recipe till 4 years after I published this post. That’s when my friend, Claudia, of What’s Cookin’ Italian Style Cuisine, was searching for an espresso brownie and made this recipe. As soon as she posted, I started wondering about what sort of photo I shared so early in my blogging career.
Well, I found there was room for improvement. I baked up a batch of these fudgy mocha brownies immediately as Nick was heading to a friend’s lake house for the weekend and those boys always appreciate a little sweet treat. My oldest, Tom (mentioned above when he was 23), is a huge fan of mocha desserts (he’s the only one of my children who drinks coffee), so I saved a number for him, too. Bill tasted them, but I knew that there would be too much espresso for him to be thrilled with the results. He didn’t mind that they all left the house very quickly. If you have family members who don’t enjoy mocha, decrease the espresso powder to 1 tablespoon or even just 1 teaspoon as it will bring out the chocolate without screaming coffee.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Whipped Mocha Tart from Pint Sized Baker
- Salted Caramel Mocha Bundt Cake from Inside BruCrew Life
- Mocha Cupcakes from A Family Feast
- Mocha Brownie Cake
- Fudgy Mocha Brownies
- More Chocolate Recipes
Rich, dense and full of that chocolate and coffee flavor combination, these Palm Beach Mocha Brownies are amazing!
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks butter, cut into chunks
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-2 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I use Medagalia Doro brand)
- 3 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or use regular foil and spray with Pam. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave...using 30 second intervals and stirring till smooth and melted. Mine took 2 minutes total. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, almond extract, salt, espresso, and sugar on high for 10 minutes. Mix in chocolate till combined. Add flour and mix just till blended.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, then lightly cover with foil and bake another 15-20 minutes. Do not bake any more. Toothpick inserted in the middle will come out wet and covered with crumbs.
- Let cool at room temperature. Place pan in refrigerator and chill till very cold. Remove from pan using foil. Remove foil.Brownies are too gooey to be cut at room temperature.
- To cut, first trim away all the edges Then cut into bars. Store and serve cold.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g