Oven Braised Texas Brisket
Oven braised brisket with a taste of Texas BBQ. Adapted from The Food Network.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Beef
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: American, Texan
- 4–6 pound beef brisket
- Yellow mustard
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like more heat, can up the cayenne to1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Trim down the fat on the brisket if needed, leaving up to ¼ inch of fat. Coat the brisket lightly with the yellow mustard
- Mix together rub ingredients. Rub over all surfaces of the meat. You will not need all the rub. Reserve leftovers for another time.
- Preheat the oven to 300º.
- Place brisket in a pan large enough to hold it. Add beef stock and then add water to bring the liquid level ½ inch up the sides of the brisket. Cover with a tight lid.
- Cook for about 3 hours or till meat is tender.
- Remove cooked brisket to cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Pour liquids into a fat separator and let rest till you can pour off the defatted liquid.
- Serve brisket over mashed potatoes with cooking liquid.