A dense orange cake topped with orange infused cream cheese frosting. Adapted from Paula Deen.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange extract (I used Penzey’s)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 8-ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), at room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with nonstick foil (or just grease with non-stick spray). Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest. Beat until well blended with a hand mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- When cake is cool, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and smooth. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. Mix until smooth. Beat in the zest, marmalade, and orange juice. Spread over cake.
Feel free to decrease the powdered sugar in the frosting to 3½ cups if you want a looser, slightly less sweet frosting.