One of my favorite bakers, Lindsey, of Gingerbread Bagels, inspired me to bake some oatmeal cookies this week. She loves to eat all the add-ins from her cookie doughs…and I like to eat the dough. No wonder I like her…we balance out each other! Her cookies were studded with chocolate covered cranberries…they sounded fabulous. Chocolate cranberries went on my shopping list, but I didn’t exactly like them when I tried a sample. Plan B was to add craisins…oops, none in my pantry…but I did find dried tart cherries. Whew….Plan C it was!
Adapted from Ina Garten
- 2 sticks butter (1/2 pound), at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 cups dried tart cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar till thoroughly mixed. Add eggs, then vanilla and mix well. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and mix till all flour is incorporated. Mix in oatmeal and cherries.
- Scoop out tablespoons of dough and place on prepared baking sheets, about 8 per sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool for a couple minutes on pan, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g
Here is another great oatmeal cookie recipe…this one with nuts, dried cherries AND chocolate chunks.