Oatmeal Caramel Bars Recipe
An oatmeal bar filled with gooey caramel and chocolate. Adapted from Pillsbury
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 5-ounce bags of [url]Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels∞http://www.werthers-original.us/products/caramel-candies/chewy-caramels[/url] (15 ounces total), unwrapped
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil or spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, soda and salt. Stir to blend. Add melted butter and mix until well combined. Set aside half the crumbs, about 3 cups. Press remaining crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine caramels and cream. Heat for about 5 minutes on 50% power, stirring a couple times during the melting process, until caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth.Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips. Drizzle with melted caramel mixture and top with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or till golden brown. Cool at least one hour before cutting (I like to refrigerate for at least an hour to get cleaner slices).