Mushroom and Leek Migas
Recipe courtesy of The New Southwest by Meagan Micozzi p. 60
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Cuisine: Southwest
- 4 (5-inch) corn tortillas
- 1–1/4 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 10 large eggs
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces brown baby Bella crimini mushrooms, brushed clean, sliced (approximately 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 leek, ends removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- To prepare the corn strips, cut the tortillas in half and then slice them into thin strips (1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide). Heat 1 cup of the vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips for 1 to 2 minutes, flipping the pieces as they fry and removing the crispy, browned strips to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain and cool.
- Whisk the eggs and heavy cream together in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse out the pan used for the tortilla strips and warm the remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Saute the mushroom slices for approximately 3 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Add the leek and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Pour in the egg mixture and cook, stirring constantly in a circular motion until eggs begin to solidify. Just as the eggs are beginning to solidify, stir in the fried tortilla strips. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until eggs are light, fluffy, and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, top with the cheese, and serve immediately.
Yield: 4-6 servings