My family’s Mounds Bars Recipe
In first grade, our moms had to send in two recipes for the class cookbook. My mom’s contributions were a blue cheese salad dressing…which I didn’t appreciate till nearly 20 years later…and Mounds Bars. I became a coconut fan at a very early age because of these gems! I’ve searched and searched my parents’ home for that wood grain pattern contact paper wrapped cookbook to no avail. Tweaking a recipe I found on-line, and baking these decadent beauties brought me back to the many times I made these in my family kitchen. If you are a fan of Mounds Bars, you won’t want to pass these up!
Edited to add: a friend and fellow coconut lover tried this and her second baking time took much longer than the 15 minutes…so start checking at 15 and be sure to cook long enough to get these lightly browned.
A favorite coconut recipe from my childhood.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 32 mins
- Total Time: 52 mins
- Yield: 16 bars
- Category: Desserts, Bar Cookies
- Mounds Bars…adapted from AllRecipes and my mom
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 8 x 8-inch pan and set aside.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake 12 minutes.
- While crust is baking, mix sweetened condensed milk and coconut. Carefully spread over hot crust and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or till lightly browned. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and put back in the oven for just a minute to melt chocolate. Spread to cover coconut. Cool and cut into squares to serve.