Mocha Ice Cream with Homemade Marshmallow Cream Sauce
Luscious mocha ice cream topped by fluffy marshmallow sauce. Recipes adapted from Southern Living and Epicurious
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 cups ice cream 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixing, Freezing
- Cuisine: American
For Ice Cream:
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 4 egg yolks
For marshmallow cream:
- 1 egg white or 2 teaspoons of powdered egg whites mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice; stir in brewed coffee. Set chocolate mixture aside.
- Bring whipping cream, half-and-half, 1/2 cup sugar, and coffee granules to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and coffee dissolve.
- Beat yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour hot cream mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour. Serve ice cream with cookies, if desired.
- Whisk together powdered egg whites and 2 tablespoons warm water in bowl of stand mixer until powder is dissolved. Add corn syrup, confectioners’ sugar, and salt, and beat on high speed until thick and white, 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Thin marshmallow to a sauce by beating in remaining tablespoon warm water, or to taste.
Additional chilling and freezing times required.