Meringue Topped Chocolate Chip Bars
A unique, old-fashioned chocolate chip bar topped with meringue.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1955 Edition, via American Heritage Cooking Blog
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° and line 8 x 8 inch baking dish with non-stick foil or foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter with the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar until very light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, water, vanilla; mix well. Stir in flour mixture.
- Pat into baking dish and top with chocolate chips.
- Beat egg white until stiff; gradually beat in ½ cup brown sugar. Spread over chocolate. Bake in for 25 minutes or until top is golden. Cut into bars while warm. Cool completely.
Total time does not include cooling time.