Matzo Crack AKA Matzo Toffee
A delectable toffee treat made with matzos! Recipe adapted from Marcy Goldman’s Caramel Matzoh Crunch, Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 36 servings/pieces 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 4–5 matzos
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1+ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then top with a sheet of parchment paper. Cover surface with a single layer of matzos, breaking as needed to fit. Set aside.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat till it comes to a boil, then continue to stir and boil for 3 more minutes.
- Carefully pour hot mixture over matzos and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or till caramel mixture is bubbling. Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle with chocolate chips. Wait about 5 minutes for chocolate to melt, then smooth over surface and sprinkle with pecans.
- Refrigerate till chocolate is firm, about 45 minutes. Using parchment, remove toffee from pan to large cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: approximately 3 dozen pieces depending on size