If you find the classic English toffee hard to resist and daunting to make from scratch, try this Matzo Crack AKA Matzo Toffee!!
This Easy Toffee Recipe is a Passover Classic dessert, but a yummy treat for any holiday!
I’d been super curious about all the peusdo-toffee recipes I’ve seen over the years. Some are made with graham crackers, others with saltines. As a huge toffee fanatic, I wasn’t certain I wanted to find an easy way to have a batch of toffee at my disposal.
When toffee is in the house, all my will power flies out the window! But I had some friends coming over, so I found an excuse to make my own Matzo Crack. I tested this easy toffee recipe earlier this month as Passover was approaching and there were plenty of boxes of matzos on the grocery store shelves.
A Super Easy Toffee Treat
Well, this was easy as could be. No candy thermometer necessary for a decadent, toffee-like treat. Now I’m dying to try it with graham crackers. I can see why this was dubbed matzo crack; it’s totally addictive!!!
For another twist on this recipe, my friend, Betsy, of Desserts Required, shared her Coconut Chocolate Toffee Matzo Crunch.
- 4-5 matzos
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1+ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then top with a sheet of parchment paper. Cover surface with a single layer of matzos, breaking as needed to fit. Set aside.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat till it comes to a boil, then continue to stir and boil for 3 more minutes.
- Carefully pour hot mixture over matzos and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or till caramel mixture is bubbling. Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle with chocolate chips. Wait about 5 minutes for chocolate to melt, then smooth over surface and sprinkle with pecans.
- Refrigerate till chocolate is firm, about 45 minutes. Using parchment, remove toffee from pan to large cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: approximately 3 dozen pieces depending on size
Serving Size:2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g