Marbled Flourless Chocolate Cake
This exquisite Chocolate and Vanilla Cake was adapted from Fine Cooking
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 42 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 12 mins
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
For the vanilla batter:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate batter:
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch table salt
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 300°. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- To make the vanilla batter, beat the softened cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until well blended and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until blended. Set aside.
- To make the chocolate batter, melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Whisk until smooth and set aside to cool slightly. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, rum, vanilla, and salt on medium high until the mixture is pale and thick, 3 to 4 min. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the chocolate mixture and continue beating until well blended.
- Spread about half of the chocolate batter in the bottom of the pan. Alternately add large scoopfuls of each of the remaining batters to the cake pan. Using a knife, carefully swirl the two batters together so they’re mixed but not completely blended. Tap the pan against on your counter several times level the batters.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted about 2 inches from edges comes out with a few moist crumbs, but no gooey batter, about 40-42 minutes. Cool on rack about 1-1/2 hours.Remove sides of springform pan and use spatulas to remove cake to serving plate.Cover and refrigerate until cold.
To serve, slice with a knife dipped in hot water, then dried.