Maple Glazed Apple Tart
A gourmet apple tart with a puff pastry base, cream cheese filling and maple glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert
- Method: Rolling, Cutting, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- ¼ cup sugar
- Frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used a 14 ounce package of Dufour puff pastry)
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- Stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla till smooth.
- Peel, core and slice apples into ¼ inch slices. Toss with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- On a lightly floured surface roll one sheet of puff pastry to 12 x16 rectangle. From a long side, cut a ⅓ inch wide strip, then cut in half. From a short side, cut two ⅓ inch strips. Set strips aside. Cut remaining rectangle in half to make two 12 x 8 inch pieces. Place one on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush outer ⅓ inch of rectangle on baking sheet with egg wash and arrange pastry strips around perimeter of borders, trimming to fit. Spread cream cheese mixture inside borders and top with apples. If pastry gets warm at any time, place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- On lightly floured surface roll remaining sheet, if needed to enlarge, so that it covers the apple tart. Cut several diagonal slits down middle of the rectangle.
- Brush border edges of the tart with egg wash, then top with the pastry rectangle. Press edges gently to seal. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes, or till puffed and golden.
- Simmer maple syrup about 10 minutes to reduce to ⅓ cup. Brush hot glaze over warm tarts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Gourmet.