When you tire of turkey sandwiches, shred a couple cups of your leftover bird and make this fabulous Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup!
Comforting with a nice hit of spices, this homemade turkey soup is a perfect post Thanksgiving meal!
Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup
The hubby is happy zapping a plate of holiday leftovers night after night. By day three, I usually whip up a Turkey Tetrazzini, but this year I plan to shake things up. All that’s needed is a cup and a half of shredded turkey (I always add more!), a few items from the market and some staples from the pantry. It’s an easy peasy recipe because who the heck needs to spend any more time in the kitchen after cooking up a Thanksgiving feast??!
Tortilla Soup Garnishes
This spicy soup can be modified to your liking. Use half a jalapeno or a can of diced mild green chiles for less heat. If you have some sharp cheddar on hand, don’t bother running to the grocery store for Monterey Jack.
The garnishes are important. I love the crispy fried tortillas. Sprinkle with some salt while they’re hot if you’d like. Avocado chunks are my favorite. One for the soup, one for the cook. My kitchen is usually stocked with Pacific brand chicken broth which is less salty than, let’s say, Swanson’s. So taste before you salt. My batch needed more than the 1/2 teaspoon listed in the recipe, buy yours may not need any!
If you have any leftover turkey stock, that would be a fabulous substitution. I hope you’ll add this turkey tortilla soup to your post-holiday menu.
More recipes utilizing holiday leftovers. Make sure to pin this post so you can have all this delicious inspiration only a click or two away.
- Brie Cranberry Turkey Quesadillas by Food Lust People Love
- Cranberry Chipotle BBQ Chicken Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Cranberry Pork Tenderloin by The Crumby Cupcake
- Creamed Spinach Turkey Pasta by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Leftover Turkey Pasta with Mushrooms by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Grilled Cheese with Cranberry and Brie by Life Tastes Good
- Curried Turkey Salad
- Homemade Turkey Tetrazzini
Turkey Tortilla Soup
An easy recipe which utilizes your leftover Thanksgiving turkey! Adapted from Simply Recipes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Sauteing, Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- 6 corn tortillas, stale is best
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste (varies depending on the saltiness of your broth)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded turkey
- 1 avocado, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime, cut into wedges
- Cut tortillas in half then slice each into ¼ inch wide strips. Heat oil in stockpot and fry till lightly browned and crisp. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Add chopped onions to pan and cook a couple minutes. Add chiles and garlic and cook just a minute more. Add stock, tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, then add chicken and cook till heated through.
- Serve with avocado, cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips and a sprinkle of lime juice if desired.