Layered Chocolate Meringue Cake
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: Australian, New Zealand, American
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar (use granulated if superfine not available)
- 3 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate shards to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 225º. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment. Draw a 7 inch circle on each piece of parchment, the flip the paper over. Set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites till satiny in appearance. Slowly add the sugar misture, while continuing to beat, until meringue is stiff and glossy. Sift cocoa powder over the meringue, mix to combine, then mix in the lemon juice.
- Divide the meringue between the baking sheets, keeping within the 7 inch circles. Smooth tops and edges with an offset spatula. Place in oven and immediately decrease temperature to 300º. Bake for 3 hours until they’re dry on edges and top. Pavlova will appear cracked. Turn off oven and leave in over for 3 more hours.
- To serve, place one meringue on a serving plate. Whip cream with powdered sugar, vanilla. Top meringue with about 1 1/3 cup whipped cream, then repeat with the second and third meringue. Top with grated chocolate, chocolate curls or chocolate shards.
This recipe was inspired by Nigella Lawson’s chocolate pavlova and the Chocolate-Coconut Pavlova Cake in Southern Living.