Cheesy Lasagna Dip with Sausage
An appetizer inspired by the classic lasagna recipe!!
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce (store bought or homemade )
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature (may substitute ricotta, if desired. Drain well.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil (I use Tuttorosso brand Crushed Tomatoes with Basil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine
To make marinara:
- Saute onion in olive oil till softened. Add garlic and cook for just a minute or two.
- Add the salt, pepper, tomatoes, bay leaf and oregano. Bring to a simmer and add red wine. Cook for about 30 minutes, taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Remove bay leaf before using.
To make dip:
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a pie plate or small casserole dish.
- Mix sausage and marinara sauce and layer over cream cheese. Top with mozzarella. Bake or 15 minutes or till cheese is melted, starting to bubble and lightly browned. Serve warm with baguette toasts.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Total time: 30 minutes