My predictable hubby orders two salads when we’re dining out, a Caesar or Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing. Both are easy to make at home!
Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
I find it remarkable that my picky husband likes blue cheese. He turns his nose at mushrooms, cucumbers, pineapple, mint, nuts and so many of my other favorite ingredients. I was shocked when I first made this Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing and he practically licked his plate!
Tips for Making a Wedge Salad.
Look for heavy heads of iceberg lettuce. They will make better wedges. Lately, this is a difficult task as a head of iceberg lettuce is typically far from dense and heavy. Test by holding the head in the palm of your hand, then giving it a gentle squeeze.
Once you have a decent head of iceberg, remove the stem and cut the head into 4 to 6 slices depending on the size of the lettuce and your preference.
The Wedge Salad usually is composed of a wedge of lettuce, blue cheese salad dressing, crispy bacon bits and a few blue cheese crumbles. This version has a few grape tomatoes for a pop of color and sweetness. Feel free to add your favorite salad toppers to make this salad your own.
Don’t be tempted to use bacon bits instead of real bacon. The quality is just not the same.
Ditto for blue cheese. Buy a quality chunk of blue cheese from the cheese case and crumble it yourself.
If you don’t have any buttermilk in your refrigerator, you can easily make a homemade version. Put a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a one cup measuring cup. Fill it with milk to the one cup mark. Let it sit for about 5 minutes as it thickens and curdles slightly. Voila, instant buttermilk!
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, I like Maytag
- Iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges, outer leaves and core removed
- 1/2 cup grape or teardrop tomatoes
- 2-3 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallots, chives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and celery salt. Stir in blue cheese, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and whisk in a little more mayo if desired.
- Plate one wedge of lettuce per person. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with tomatoes and bacon.