Homemade Sausage Mushroom Pizza
Homemade pizza with a lovely pizza dough adapted from Bobby Flay.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Mixing, Kneading, Baking
- Cuisine: Italian American
Dough for two pizzas:
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant yeast (I use Red Star Platinum Yeast)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the bowl and drizzle
Toppings for one pizza:
- 3–4 plum tomatoes, sliced thinly and drained on paper towels
- 2 mild Italian sausage links, removed from casings, crumbled and cooked
- 4–6 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed in butter
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano to season
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a dough hook and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough seems very sticky, add a tablespoon or two more flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead into a ball on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm spot until doubled in size, about an hour. Return the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Cover each piece of dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Take one piece of the dough and pat into a 14-inch crust on a sheet of parchment, using flour if needed. Top with sliced tomatoes, sausage, mushrooms and cheese. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried oregano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. With a pizza peel, slide pizza and parchment onto the pizza stone. Alternatively, you can use a pizza pan, but I like the crispier crust that forms when the pizza sits right on the stone.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned. Remove using pizza peel to a cooling rack.